What pay and other financial support is there?
Australian Apprentices are entitled to receive wages and conditions under an appropriate award, approved enterprise agreement, or national minimum wage and National Employment Standards.
The Fair Work ombudsman's website has a list of awards
available across all industries. This provides you with information about the minimum wage and conditions that you are entitled to. You are required by law to have a copy of this award or agreement.
Your Award will cover:
- Base rates of pay, including piecework rates
- Types of employment (e.g. full-time, part-time, casual)
- Overtime and penalty rates
- Work arrangements (e.g. rosters, variations to working hours)
- Annualised wage or salary arrangements
- Allowances (e.g. travel allowances)
- Leave, leave loading and taking leave
- Procedures for consultation, representation and dispute settlement
- An industry-specific redundancy scheme
Once working, you will receive a pay slip that includes details such as the period of employment to which the pay relates, the hours worked (including any overtime), gross pay, tax deducted, other deductions and net pay.
The Fair Work Ombudsman also has a great tool called PayCheck. It helps you to calculate the base rates of pay for a particular job.
The Australian Government provides funding to eligible Australian Apprentices which is generally aimed to assist with costs incurred while undertaking training, including Trade Support Loans.
Trade Support Loans provide up to $20,000 to eligible Australian Apprentices in priority areas to assist them with the costs of living and learning while undertaking an Australian Apprenticeship.
A 20% discount is applied on the amount borrowed when the apprentice successfully completes their apprenticeship.
Apprentices are required to repay the loans through the tax system when their repayment income meets the repayment threshold. The loans are flexible to meet the needs of each individual.
Some of the other initiatives currently available across Australia* include:
- Living Away from Home Allowance
- Travel and Accommodated Allowances
- Youth Allowance, Austudy and ABSTUDY
- Discounted Health Care and Travel allowances
To find out which incentives apply in your State or Territory or to your situation, download the relevant State or Territory e-guide below.
*Not all Incentives are available in all States of Australia. Payment of incentives will be subject to employers and their apprentices and trainees satisfying the eligibility criteria. Details of each incentive should be discussed with Apprenticeship Support Australia.
For more information on how to get started call Apprenticeship Support Australia on 1300 363 831.