What are school-based apprenticeships?
Still in school – but can’t wait to get started on your dream career? A school-based apprenticeship could be the answer!
School-based Apprenticeships and Traineeships tick all the boxes:
- Stay at school with your friends and finish your final years
- Start earning a wage
- Work towards a Nationally Recognised Qualification
- Gain valuable work experience and get a head start on your career!
So how do they work?
Australian School-based Apprenticeships and Traineeships allow you to combine your schooling with part-time on-the-job training and formal study to achieve a Nationally-Recognised Qualification.
This type of learning is a great way to get your career off to a head-start while you are still at school as you are already well under way to getting qualified before you have even finished Year 12.
Australian School-based Apprenticeships and Traineeships may allow you to:
- Learn practical skills that employers desire
- Start earning money
- Get a head start on gaining a Nationally Recognised Qualification for your future career
- Gain credits towards your final years of schooling
- Go on to higher education using the qualification as a pre-requisite once you have completed your Apprenticeship or Traineeship.
By starting an Australian Apprenticeship under a school based arrangement you may be able to knock 1-2 years off an apprenticeship and even complete a traineeship depending on the qualification. The duration depends on the type of apprenticeship or traineeship, the industry and the qualification.
If you are interested in starting a School-based Apprenticeship
, it’s important to speak to the relevant teacher, Careers Advisor, or Career Counsellor at your school as soon as possible to find out the opportunities available in your district and how to access them.
For more information on how to get started call Apprenticeship Support Australia on 1300 363 831.
Note: you will require the consent of a parent or legal guardian and your school to participate in an Australian School-based Apprenticeship