What pay and other financial support is there?
Australian Apprentices are entitled to receive wages and conditions under an appropriate award, approved enterprise agreement, or national minimum wage and National Employment Standards.
The Fair Work ombudsman's website has a list of awards
available across all industries. This provides you with information about the minimum wage and conditions that you are entitled to. You are required by law to have a copy of this award or agreement.
Your Award will cover:
- Base rates of pay, including piecework rates
- Types of employment (e.g. full-time, part-time, casual)
- Overtime and penalty rates
- Work arrangements (e.g. rosters, variations to working hours)
- Annualised wage or salary arrangements
- Allowances (e.g. travel allowances)
- Leave, leave loading and taking leave
- Procedures for consultation, representation and dispute settlement
- An industry-specific redundancy scheme
Once working, you will receive a pay slip that includes details such as the period of employment to which the pay relates, the hours worked (including any overtime), gross pay, tax deducted, other deductions and net pay.
The Fair Work Ombudsman also has a great tool called PayCheck. It helps you to calculate the base rates of pay for a particular job.
The Australian Government provides funding to eligible Australian Apprentices which is generally aimed to assist with costs incurred while undertaking training, including The Australian Apprenticeship Trade Support Loans Scheme.
Trade Support Loans provide up to $24,492 (from 1 July 2023) to eligible Australian Apprentices in priority areas to assist them with the costs of living and learning while undertaking an Australian Apprenticeship.
A 20% discount is applied on the amount borrowed when the apprentice successfully completes their apprenticeship.
Apprentices are required to repay the loans through the tax system when their repayment income meets the repayment threshold. The loans are flexible to meet the needs of each individual.
Some of the other initiatives currently available across Australia* include:
- Australian Apprentice Training Support Payment (this treated as taxable income - a tax file declaration must be provided to avoid tax being withheld at the highest marginal rate.)
- New Energy Apprentice Support Payment (this is treated as taxable income - a tax file declaration must be provided to avoid tax being withheld at the highest marginal rate.)
- Living Away from Home Allowance
- Travel and Accommodation Allowances
- Youth Allowance, Austudy and ABSTUDY
To find out which incentives apply for Apprentices that commenced/recommenced on or after the 01/07/2022, in your State or Territory or to your situation, download the relevant State or Territory e-guide below.
*Not all Incentives are available in all States of Australia. Payment of incentives will be subject to employers and their apprentices and trainees satisfying the eligibility criteria. Details of each incentive should be discussed with Apprenticeship Support Australia.
Australian Apprentice Training Support Payment
The Australian Apprentice Training Support Payment provides direct financial support (up to a maximum of two years) to Australian Apprentices commencing an Australian Apprenticeship in a priority occupation. The incentive is available for Australian Apprentices commencing or recommencing from 1st
To find out how to claim the Australian Apprentice Training Support Payment, download the PDF below and follow the easy steps inside.
New Energy Apprentice Support Payment
The New Energy Apprentice Support Payment is designed to encourage apprentices to choose clean energy careers, improve retention rates and deliver more successful completions by providing direct financial support to Australian Apprentices commencing an Australian Apprenticeship in a clean energy occupation. The incentive is available for apprentices commencing from 1st
To find out how to claim the New Energy Apprentice Support Payment download the PDF below and follow the easy steps:
For more information on how to get started call Apprenticeship Support Australia on 1300 363 831.