School-based apprenticeships and traineeships
School-based Apprenticeships and Traineeships provide students aged 15 years or older with valuable employment skills, hands-on industry experience and a nationally recognised qualification, while still completing secondary school qualifications.
Benefits of employing a School-based Apprentice or Trainee
Employing a School-based Apprentice or Trainee gives you the chance to:
- Recruit keen young staff before they graduate from high school
- Employ and train a young person part-time in your business
- Meet the current and future skills need of your business
- Give a young person realistic exposure to your industry
The student must:
- Be a full time school student aged 15 years or older
- Have the school’s agreement to undertake school based training
- Find an employer willing to train in their workplace
- Have the parent/guardian’s permission (if under the age of 18)
- Some School Based Apprenticeships have additional requirements, e.g. Electrotechnology qualifications, find out more here
How it works
- Identify a suitable part-time position in your business
- Find a school student willing to undertake a School-based Apprenticeship or Traineeship
- Discuss and approve alongside the school the student’s release day(s) for employment and training
- Employ the student directly or be the host employer through a Group Training Organisation (GTO)
- Work with the school and Registered Training Organisation (RTO) to develop and set the training plan
- Mentor and support the student throughout their apprenticeship/traineeship
What else do I need to know?
- The student will receive training from a Registered Training Organisation (RTO) who will either come to the school or to your workplace
- When the student signs up for school based training, all parties must complete a National Training Contract (NTC). The NTC is a legally binding apprenticeship/traineeship agreement to provide employment and structured training for the duration of the contract.
- Once the National Training Contract is registered, the school principal or authorised school person must endorse the RTO’s training plan as specified on the National Training Contract.
How we can help
Our local dedicated Industry Training Consultants can provide assistance and expertise with:
Interested to find out the projected financial incentives for your business or to book a complimentary Workplace Assessment? Call our team today on 1300 363 831.
Our services are funded under an Australian Government contract and are provided at no cost to you.
- Identifying and mapping the school-based training opportunities within your business
- Access our candidate pool and Jobs Board at Skillsroad.com.au
- We have an extensive network of schools and established relationships with teachers, careers advisers etc – often schools have the students and struggle to find employers. Schools may also be able to advertise the position to the school community.
- Coordinate all parties to ensure successful outcomes of the school based training
- Coaching and mentoring support for the employer, student and school